Kentucky Homeschool State Laws
Please note that laws and regulations may have changed since this update, so it’s always essential to consult the most up-to-date sources and official state websites for accurate and current information. Here is a summary of homeschooling laws in Kentucky as of my last update:
- Legal Option: Homeschooling is a legal option for education in Kentucky. It is considered a private school education and is governed by specific state laws.
- Notification: Parents or legal guardians who wish to homeschool their children in Kentucky are required to notify the local school district in writing within ten days of starting homeschooling.
- Curriculum: Kentucky does not mandate specific curriculum requirements for homeschooling. Parents have the flexibility to choose or design their own curriculum to meet their child’s educational needs.
- Teacher Qualifications: There are no specific teacher qualification requirements for parents or legal guardians who choose to homeschool their children in Kentucky.
- Assessments and Reporting: Kentucky law does not mandate standardized testing or formal assessment for homeschoolers. However, the local school district may request an annual assessment of the child’s academic progress, which can be conducted through a standardized test, portfolio review, or other methods. Parents are responsible for keeping records of their child’s educational progress.
- Attendance: Homeschoolers in Kentucky are not subject to compulsory attendance laws applicable to public school students. However, parents should ensure that their child receives an equivalent education to that provided in public schools.
- Special Education Services: Homeschooled students in Kentucky are not entitled to receive special education services from the public school system. However, parents may choose to seek services through other avenues, such as private providers or community organizations.
- Dual Enrollment: Homeschooled students in Kentucky may be eligible to participate in dual enrollment programs, which allow them to take college-level courses while still in high school. Requirements and eligibility criteria may vary by institution, so it’s advisable to check with individual colleges or universities for their specific policies.
Remember to consult the Kentucky Department of Education or local school district websites for the most up-to-date information on homeschooling regulations, requirements, and any recent changes to the laws.
Updated October 2023
Kentucky Homeschool State Law Resources
NOTE: HomeSchoolFacts intends the Homeschool State Laws above information to be used for research purposes only. None of this information is intended as legal advice by HomeSchoolFacts.
Please know that the summaries provided are intended for research purposes only and are not intended to be legal advice. REMEMBER: The most important thing you can do to prepare for homeschooling your child is to become familiar with your state’s homeschooling laws.
Kindly note that the information provided herein serves as a general overview of homeschooling laws in each state. The content is based on available information, which may not always be up to date. It is essential to acknowledge that laws can experience modifications over time. Therefore, it is crucial to refer to official sources or contact the State's Department of Education for the most recent and precise information regarding homeschooling regulations.
Homeschool and School at Home Resources
Global Student Network
Global Student Network’s mission is to offer the highest quality online curriculum available to homeschooling families. GSN offers a wide range of online curriculum options. We have over 2000 course offerings including Honors, AP®, World Languages, and Career and Technical Education courses.
International Virtual Learning Academy
IVLA is an accredited online private school that allows students to choose their own educational path while meeting the expectation of a larger future. IVLA provides experiences beyond the traditional classroom; allowing students the freedom to meet their personal goals.
Equip Christian Academy
Equip Christian Academy is an accredited, online private Christian school serving students in grades K-12. Equip is devoted to providing each student an outstanding faith-based education. We are dedicated to supporting families that want their children to have an exceptional, accredited, academic experience from home.