Iowa Homeschool State Laws
Please note that laws and regulations may have changed since this update, so it’s always a good idea to consult the most recent legislation or seek legal advice for the most up-to-date and accurate information.
In Iowa, homeschooling is regulated under the private instruction option, also known as independent private instruction (IPI). Here’s a summary of the key points regarding homeschooling in Iowa:
- 1. Required Notifications: Parents or legal guardians who choose to homeschool their children in Iowa must file a Competent Private Instruction (CPI) form with the local school district superintendent by September 1st of each school year.
- Parent Qualifications: There are no specific qualifications or requirements for parents or legal guardians who wish to homeschool their children in Iowa.
- Subjects and Curriculum: Homeschooling families in Iowa must provide instruction in the “fundamental instructional areas,” which include math, science, language arts, and social studies. However, there are no specific requirements regarding curriculum, testing, or teaching hours.
- Supervision: Homeschooling is considered a private instruction option, which means parents or legal guardians assume full responsibility for the education of their children and there is no oversight or supervision by the state.
- Assessments and Testing: Iowa does not require homeschool students to participate in standardized testing or formal assessments.
- Attendance and Reporting: Homeschooling families are not required to report attendance or maintain attendance records.
- Immunization Requirements: Homeschooling students in Iowa are subject to the same immunization requirements as public school students. However, there are religious and medical exemptions available.
It’s important to note that while homeschooling is legal in Iowa, it’s advisable to stay informed about any changes in the laws or regulations. Contacting the Iowa Department of Education or a local homeschooling organization can provide you with the most up-to-date and accurate information on homeschooling in Iowa.
Updated October 2023
Iowa Homeschool State Law Resources
NOTE: HomeSchoolFacts intends the Homeschool State Laws above information to be used for research purposes only. None of this information is intended as legal advice by HomeSchoolFacts.
Please know that the summaries provided are intended for research purposes only and are not intended to be legal advice. REMEMBER: The most important thing you can do to prepare for homeschooling your child is to become familiar with your state’s homeschooling laws.
Kindly note that the information provided herein serves as a general overview of homeschooling laws in each state. The content is based on available information, which may not always be up to date. It is essential to acknowledge that laws can experience modifications over time. Therefore, it is crucial to refer to official sources or contact the State's Department of Education for the most recent and precise information regarding homeschooling regulations.
Homeschool and School at Home Resources
Global Student Network
Global Student Network’s mission is to offer the highest quality online curriculum available to homeschooling families. GSN offers a wide range of online curriculum options. We have over 2000 course offerings including Honors, AP®, World Languages, and Career and Technical Education courses.
International Virtual Learning Academy
IVLA is an accredited online private school that allows students to choose their own educational path while meeting the expectation of a larger future. IVLA provides experiences beyond the traditional classroom; allowing students the freedom to meet their personal goals.
Equip Christian Academy
Equip Christian Academy is an accredited, online private Christian school serving students in grades K-12. Equip is devoted to providing each student an outstanding faith-based education. We are dedicated to supporting families that want their children to have an exceptional, accredited, academic experience from home.