Idaho Homeschool State Laws
Please note that laws and regulations may have changed since this update, so it’s essential to consult official sources or legal professionals for the most up-to-date information. Here is a summary of homeschooling regulations in Idaho:
- Notification: Idaho requires parents or legal guardians to file a written notice of intent to homeschool with the local school district superintendent. This notice must be submitted annually, within 30 days from the start of the homeschooling program.
- Qualifications: The parent or legal guardian must have a high school diploma or its equivalent, or they must be supervised by someone who does. There are no additional teaching qualifications required.
- Subjects: Homeschooling families in Idaho are required to provide instruction in the subjects of reading, language arts, mathematics, social studies, and science.
- Attendance: The homeschooling program must be conducted for a minimum of 180 days or an equivalent hourly requirement. However, there is no specific requirement for daily instructional hours.
- Testing and Evaluations: Idaho does not require standardized testing or formal evaluations of homeschool students.
- Recordkeeping: While not explicitly required by law, it is advisable for homeschooling families to maintain records of attendance, curriculum used, and any other relevant documentation to demonstrate compliance with the law.
- Immunizations: Homeschooling families in Idaho are not required to provide proof of immunization.
- Special Education: If a child has previously received special education services through a public school, the parent or guardian must file a written plan outlining the provision of special education services in the homeschool setting.
- Dual Enrollment: Homeschooled students in Idaho may have the opportunity to participate in dual enrollment programs, allowing them to take courses at local public schools or community colleges.
- Graduation and Diplomas: Idaho law does not provide for a specific homeschool graduation procedure or issue diplomas. Homeschooling families can create their own graduation ceremonies and provide their own diplomas.
It is important to review the Idaho State Code and consult with the Idaho Department of Education or a legal professional specializing in homeschooling to ensure compliance with the most current homeschooling laws and regulations in the state.
Updated October 2023
Idaho Homeschool State Law Resources
NOTE: HomeSchoolFacts intends the Homeschool State Laws above information to be used for research purposes only. None of this information is intended as legal advice by HomeSchoolFacts.
Please know that the summaries provided are intended for research purposes only and are not intended to be legal advice. REMEMBER: The most important thing you can do to prepare for homeschooling your child is to become familiar with your state’s homeschooling laws.
Kindly note that the information provided herein serves as a general overview of homeschooling laws in each state. The content is based on available information, which may not always be up to date. It is essential to acknowledge that laws can experience modifications over time. Therefore, it is crucial to refer to official sources or contact the State's Department of Education for the most recent and precise information regarding homeschooling regulations.
Homeschool and School at Home Resources
Global Student Network
Global Student Network’s mission is to offer the highest quality online curriculum available to homeschooling families. GSN offers a wide range of online curriculum options. We have over 2000 course offerings including Honors, AP®, World Languages, and Career and Technical Education courses.
International Virtual Learning Academy
IVLA is an accredited online private school that allows students to choose their own educational path while meeting the expectation of a larger future. IVLA provides experiences beyond the traditional classroom; allowing students the freedom to meet their personal goals.
Equip Christian Academy
Equip Christian Academy is an accredited, online private Christian school serving students in grades K-12. Equip is devoted to providing each student an outstanding faith-based education. We are dedicated to supporting families that want their children to have an exceptional, accredited, academic experience from home.