Hawaii Homeschool State Laws
Please note that laws and regulations may have changed since this update, so it’s always a good idea to verify the information with the official sources or consult with local authorities or homeschooling organizations for the most up-to-date and accurate information. Here’s a general summary of homeschooling laws in Hawaii:
- Homeschooling Option: Hawaii provides the option for parents to educate their children at home through homeschooling.
- Notice of Intent: Parents or legal guardians who choose to homeschool in Hawaii are required to submit a “Notice of Intent to Homeschool” to the Hawaii Department of Education (DOE). The notice should be submitted within ten days of starting homeschooling.
- Qualifications: The parent or legal guardian serving as the homeschooling instructor must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Curriculum: Homeschooling families in Hawaii are not required to follow the specific curriculum guidelines set by the DOE. However, the instruction provided must be equivalent to the education that would be provided in public schools and include subjects such as English, mathematics, science, social studies, and health.
- Hours of Instruction: Hawaii does not specify the number of hours of instruction required for homeschooling. However, families are expected to provide regular and thorough instruction.
- Testing and Evaluation: Homeschooling students in Hawaii may be required to participate in standardized testing or periodic assessments. The specific testing requirements may vary depending on the county. Check with your local school district or homeschooling organizations to determine the testing or evaluation procedures.
- Attendance Records: Parents or legal guardians must keep attendance records of their homeschooling activities and provide these records upon request by the DOE.
- Notification of Termination: If a family decides to stop homeschooling, they should submit a “Notice of Termination” to the DOE.
It’s essential to review the Hawaii Department of Education’s official website or consult with local homeschooling organizations for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding homeschooling laws and regulations in Hawaii.
Updated October 2023
Hawaii Homeschool State Law Resources
NOTE: HomeSchoolFacts intends the Homeschool State Laws above information to be used for research purposes only. None of this information is intended as legal advice by HomeSchoolFacts.
Please know that the summaries provided are intended for research purposes only and are not intended to be legal advice. REMEMBER: The most important thing you can do to prepare for homeschooling your child is to become familiar with your state’s homeschooling laws.
Kindly note that the information provided herein serves as a general overview of homeschooling laws in each state. The content is based on available information, which may not always be up to date. It is essential to acknowledge that laws can experience modifications over time. Therefore, it is crucial to refer to official sources or contact the State's Department of Education for the most recent and precise information regarding homeschooling regulations.
Homeschool and School at Home Resources
Global Student Network
Global Student Network’s mission is to offer the highest quality online curriculum available to homeschooling families. GSN offers a wide range of online curriculum options. We have over 2000 course offerings including Honors, AP®, World Languages, and Career and Technical Education courses.
International Virtual Learning Academy
IVLA is an accredited online private school that allows students to choose their own educational path while meeting the expectation of a larger future. IVLA provides experiences beyond the traditional classroom; allowing students the freedom to meet their personal goals.
Equip Christian Academy
Equip Christian Academy is an accredited, online private Christian school serving students in grades K-12. Equip is devoted to providing each student an outstanding faith-based education. We are dedicated to supporting families that want their children to have an exceptional, accredited, academic experience from home.