It’s almost summertime again! Time for parents of school-age kids to start thinking about creating an array of fun, safe, healthy and educational “to do” lists to keep those kids happy and engaged. Parents of school-age children consistently report that the summer months are difficult in terms of finding productive activities to educate and entertain their children. Summertime learning is always an option, but not all students want to spend their summer vacation “doing school” when they just toughed it out for nine months.
If you’re a parent who wants to homeschool your children, online summer learning might be just the solution you need! Online learning in the summer months offers many benefits, including:
- Variety Anything your child wants to study, from learning how to bake a cake to lessons about current scientific advancements can be found through online curriculum programs.
- Flexible Scheduling Your kids don’t have to force themselves out of bed at zero dark thirty, get dressed, and report to a summer program. They can actually stay in their jammies all day if they want to (if you’re willing to tolerate all-day PJ parties) and still get all the educational benefits. No need to miss important family activities – kids can have learning time around personal activities. Your child can schedule their study time around the rest of the day, rather than having summer homeschool occupy all of their coveted vacation time. Students can work at whatever time represents their peak activity capacity.
- Atmosphere Conducive to Learning Online courses provides students an easier atmosphere for concentration free of other distractions and activities.
- Reinforce Computer Skills One of the really great things about online learning is that even the most basic online course will require your child to learn new computer skills as they learn to navigate related learning management systems and programs.
- College Credit It is possible that your high school student will be able to earn college credits online while still having a great time on summer vacation!
Great Options for Online Summer Learning
Global Student Network (GSN) has been providing online curriculum for homeschool families since 2004. What makes GSN unique is that it offers not just one but seven great curriculum options from one location. GSN also has an Academic Advisor available to homeschool families. Click here to see GSN’s summer learning special.
United Digital Learning offers a variety of online curriculum ideal for summer learning. You can choose from seven options for a low monthly subscription.